Thursday, April 30, 2009

April 30th

Ahh, the last day of April is filled with much hope. My beta is tomorrow for IUI #6 and I am still holding onto a tiny bit of hope that this might actually work. I had my post IUI follow up yesterday afternoon with the physician's assistant and she and my RE agree it's time to move on!! We have done the 6 IUI's that my insurance requires, although technically 2 were cancelled mid cycle (Nov for the polyp and Feb because I ovulated too early). If we get a negative beta tomorrow, I will start birth control for 2 weeks to "clean out" my system of al the previous meds and shrink any lurking cysts. Then my med cocktail will be 300 iu of Bravelle and 150 iu of Menopur for 4 days, then blood and ultrasound. At this point they will add in the Ganarelix to prevent me from ovulating on my own, and continue watching the follies grow. They expect in a woman of my age to have at least 10 mature follie to retrieve, although a good friend yesterday had 24! You go girl!!! They will take all of the follicles out through a quick surgery called the egg retrieval which I will be asleep for, because I heard it hurts like holy hell! They use a needle to aspirate the eggs through your vaginal walls....eww! They will have hubby's sample and fertilize the eggs right there in the dish and give us our fert report the next day, i.e. how many are growing and how they look. Dr P prefers a 3 day transfer back into the uterus although I think they can wait as long as 5 days. Then we wait...again....

I am both excited and scared, as this really gives us our best chances of making this work. Everything always looks good and still no baby, so hopefully if they force the eggs to fertilize then we will finally get our dream. The downside is ALOT more meds, a general anesthesia for egg retrieval, and possibly progesterone shots in the bum ever night, but this could actually finally be our answer!

I am still praying that tomorrow will be positive, but at least we have a plan in place if it's not meant to be this month! Here's to more needles and shots in the bum!

0 comments: